My Photo
Name:

Welcome to the Seaside Knitting Patterns blog! Here you will find tips on Seaside Knitting pattern construction, notions, knitting techniques, yarns, and the occasional yippe (!) when I’m thrilled with the way a project has turned out. For additional information about Seaside Knitting Patterns, please click on the Portfolio picture or visit http://www.seasideknittingpatterns.com

Monday, October 12, 2009

Button Tip - why not make your own?!!

I love buttons as accents on my knitwear. They are simple, sophisticated, and fun! (I sound like a commercial for buttons....) But they really are.

I spent a moment in JoAnn Fabrics today looking at buttons. My usual choice for buttons is leather. And with the 2 for 1 sale the store was having, leather was a steal.

But then I also remembered the do-it-yourself isle. If you can't find the buttons you really want, or want to have unique buttons that perfectly complement the knitting project you have chosen, why not make the buttons yourself. You can get the button kit (parts for 3 or 4 buttons) for under $5 at your local fabric store. Then you can cover them with whatever you'd like - cotton fabric, knit fabric, silk, leather, velvet, lace, etc.

So for the Ballybrae Fingerless Gloves I'm currently knitting for myself with Queensland Kathmandu Aran in a tweedy grey, I'm going to make my own buttons. I'll use a pinstripe silk remnant that I got a long time ago at one of Erika Tanov's studio sales, and I will use 12 do-it-yourself 7/8" buttons.
















































Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home