My Photo
Name:

Welcome to the Seaside Knitting Patterns blog! Here you will find tips on Seaside Knitting pattern construction, notions, knitting techniques, yarns, and the occasional yippe (!) when I’m thrilled with the way a project has turned out. For additional information about Seaside Knitting Patterns, please click on the Portfolio picture or visit http://www.seasideknittingpatterns.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Knitting Topics - M1 (Make One)

So, I’m sitting here eating eating a Chipwich (actually the version from Trader Joe’s) and thinking about what I like about knitting. I’m also procrastinating a bit.


M1 (Make One) is a good, solid, basic, stitch for creating increases in your work. I think I made many of them by accident in the beginning when I was first learning to knit. My rows kept increasing in stitch count, and I didn’t understand why. Now, I no longer have that problem, and I rather enjoy using M1 in my work.


M1 (Make One) is achieved by lifting the yarn in between two stitches up and over the left hand needle, and then knitting or purling into that piece of yarn. Doing this one time or infrequently on a row will gently make the work wider. However, using M1 multiple times on a row (i.e., *k1, M1, repeat from * to end) will create a arc, fan, or spiral in your work.


Something to note: M1 is not the same as “knit into the front and back of the next stitch”. This, too, will increase the work and create an arc, fan, or spiral. M1 is made individually from the yarn in between two stitches.


Making flowers are a wonderful way to practice M1 (Make One). See the picture below of my Rose Garden Scarf.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home