My Photo
Name:

Welcome to the Seaside Knitting Patterns blog! Here you will find tips on Seaside Knitting pattern construction, notions, knitting techniques, yarns, and the occasional yippe (!) when I’m thrilled with the way a project has turned out. For additional information about Seaside Knitting Patterns, please click on the Portfolio picture or visit http://www.seasideknittingpatterns.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why I started designing my own patterns

(Originally posted Friday, September 18, 2009)


I love looking at knitting magazines, pattern books, and browsing though yarn shops!! I get so inspired.


For years, though, I would start projects and knit them for a while, but most would end up frogged or at least hibernating. I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t want to finish what I started. I chalked it up to laziness, or a busy schedule, or skill level.


I never considered that I just didn’t actually like the patterns I chose. I figured that since I had chosen them (purchased the pattern and the yarn and the needles or notions), that I must like the designs. In reality, I think I was just choosing the best of what I saw, not fantastic stuff that really jazzed me.


That’s not to say that I never see a pattern I like. I love many of the patterns in Rowan Magazine and Interweave Knits. But many of the knitting patterns offered out there are just too boxy for my taste. A big sweater is great for a cold evening, but not as a fashion accessory or statement. Knitting is a traditional art, but the art of knitting need not be only traditional.


So..... in 2008 I made the leap. I said to myself, if I don’t like what I find, then I need to make what I like.


I love the knitwear of yesteryear - Bear Brand Bucilla, Minerva, and other pattern books from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. I love beads, ribbons, and pearls. And I love small gauge. I love what knitting does, what it creates just by being itself - short-rows, box pleats, yarn-overs, M1, k2tog, and knitting-in-the-round. I know how to sew, but I don’t want to make knit garments in the same fashion as I make sewn ones, i.e., shaping so much that I get pattern pieces. I like my knitting to flow from cast on to bind off.


Now in 2009, I am so happy that I put my mind to knitting and pattern making. It is such a joy. And rather than putting projects down, I want to pick them up constantly. I have so many great ideas in my head and my hands cannot keep up. But that’s ok; knitting has become something to strive for, to succeed at, and to bring me a smile.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home