My Photo
Name:

Welcome to the Seaside Knitting Patterns blog! Here you will find tips on Seaside Knitting pattern construction, notions, knitting techniques, yarns, and the occasional yippe (!) when I’m thrilled with the way a project has turned out. For additional information about Seaside Knitting Patterns, please click on the Portfolio picture or visit http://www.seasideknittingpatterns.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bear Brand - Bucilla

Inspiration can come from anywhere. I get mine from old knitting books and pamphlets. One of my favorite brands from the 1920s is Bear Brand - Bucilla.


The two yarn companies merged, and their Blue Books from the early decades of the 20th century are just lovely. They offered womens’, mens’, and children’s fashions, along with gloves, military wear, and accessories.


I don’t read through these books in order to find items to knit. Many of the fashions are too conservative for me today. However the feeling that I get from looking at the pictures and sense of style and elegance that the models exude are what I try to translate into my own designs.


In addition, these volumes remind the knitter that there is more to the art than just sweaters, mittens, hats, and the like. Check out the marksman’s glove in the picture at the bottom.



Box-pleats are featured on this capelet from the Bear Brand Bucilla volume 64 book titled Knit or Crochet Your Own Fashions for Beach - Town - Country


































































































Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home